Saturday

Camels, SpongeBob Squarepants, and the Easter Bunny

Easter arrived in my area last week and along with it, lots of free events. As a former house sitter who used to live on less than $200 a week, I love free events.

The one I went to had displays and craft activities, rock climbing, and treasure hunts in the sand. Children could ride a pony painted in rainbow colours, or a camel covered in a rainbow coloured cloth. All along the beach front were hundreds of stalls selling everything from soy candles, to sculptures made from cutlery, and clothes, and teddies, and jewellery, and too many more to name.
On the beach kids dug into piles of special sculpting sand, alongside a huge sandcastle of Spongebob Squarepants, his house and his friends. Parents watched the start of the Brisbane to Gladstone yacht race and everyone watched the Easter Bunny arrive on a life savers blow up dinghy.
When you are saving money, why wouldn’t you go to a free event? It was a fantastic day out and all it cost was my lunch money, … and maybe a little more because I was not properly prepared.
My friend and I had potatoes cut into spirals and deep fried, Lebanese bread with pineapple and cheese, and Vietnamese cabbage rolls. It was all good, and not expensive, but we spent the most on drinks; mostly fresh lemonade and homemade ginger beer. It was all sweet stuff, but I resent paying three dollars for a bottle of water.
That is where I went wrong. It got sweltering hot. With a little preparation I could have brought my own iced water and saved even more.

When I was a house sitter, I went to a lot of free events. They are a great way to have fun without spending lots of money.
House Sitting and free events are a great combination and a big part of how I lived like a princess on less than $200 a week.
If you have a favourite festival, feel free to share it in the comments section. Your comment might be where I learn about my next big adventure.




To learn more about house sitting, along with fun house sitting stories and tales of my adventures around Australia, go to https://www.createspace.com/3750764 or Amazon.com or Amazon.com to buy my book.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your post. Very informative.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome. I would love to hear from you.and I read everything..