Tuesday

Who am I writing for?

When I started writing about house sitting in Australia, I wrote out of a sense of wonder.
 I had changed from a stay-at-home mother, to a bike riding gypsy. I moved to a new country, changed my career, my lifestyle, and even my primary relationship when I divorced and met the man of my dreams.
Most importantly I changed from an unhappy, unfulfilled person to a constantly amazed, excited, and very happy person.
Who am I wiriting for?
I wrote most of it down, and I wanted to share it, but all I had was a collection of stories that were funny, or silly, or just plain amazing.
I wasn’t sure how to proceed until I looked at the most important thing of all.
Who was going to read my book?
It really matters.
 Once I decided that I wanted to inspire women who were looking for more in life, I quickly moved from a collection of stories to a book with a theme; house sitting as a lifestyle.
Kathy Pooler, explains why it is so important to consider who you are writing for in her post called “Who is the target audience for my memoir?” I just found her blog today and can thoroughly recommend it.
She has a really useful list of resources for authors too. I look forward to reading more.
Thanks for inspiring me Kathy.


14 comments:

  1. Hi Nikki, I've just finished reading your House sitting book and what a wonderful read I discovered it to be. Have posted an Amazon review and even copied the same onto my Facebook page to share at ---- http://www.facebook.com/eaharwik ---- Thank you for a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin. Sorry, for the delay. I wasn't able to get to my computer during my trip to NZ for the wedding.
      Back in action now and look forward to seeing you at the next writers meeting. I hope the last one went well.

      Delete
  2. Yup. Knowing your target market should be a priority. A lot will be based from that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. So sorry everyone. I had some time away from my computer but it was all in a good cause. I got married last week in New Zealand. Thanks so much for your interest. I will get into gear soon with some more info for you

      Delete
  4. Knowing the audience is essential; however, it is often difficult to determine. But like what is written on the link you provided, “Have faith. There’s someone out there who has waited their whole life to read your story.” Faith is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you dream to be an author, I guess "Who am I writing for?" comes off as a pretty big question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you , Nikki for your generous mention and link. I appreciate it very much. i wish you the best in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. It was a no brainer. Good information like yours is great to share. Happy writing.

      Delete
  7. Yes. Thank you for linking to Kathy Pooler's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking this. A writer needs constant inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your comments. I have found writers to be a generous bunch and appreciate all the help I have been given, including helpful blog posts like the one from Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome. I would love to hear from you.and I read everything..